Friday, July 4, 2014

Comic Review: Prophet: Remission


    With a rather bland cover and semi-ugly art, this book doesn’t jump off the shelves at you.  But I’d heard a lot of good things (granted, from many of the same people who love Saga…), so I thought I’d give it a try.  Sadly, it sat on my ‘to read’ pile for quite some time.  Still, I’ve read it now, and I’m glad of it.


    This isn’t a book that holds your hand.  The story starts, and things start happening, and you’ve got to observe and piece things together.  I like that.  Who is this John Prophet?  What’s his mission?  What’s with all the weird stuff that seems to have corrupted the Earth?  How bloody far in the future is this, anyway?  All valid questions.  Some of them get answered.  The story works almost as a mosaic, revealing new aspects as each stone fits into place.  And what it reveals gets weirder, wilder, bigger, and more batshit as the pages turn.


    So much weird tech, aliens, and wacky ideas packed into so little space, it might be overwhelming for some.  But if you like Dune-type crazy science fiction, this is one to sample.  As I was reading it, in fact, I kept thinking about Alejandro Jodorowsky’s Metabarons (I haven’t read The Incal, yet).  That comic was rooted in Jodorowsky’s failed attempt to bring Dune to the big screen in the early 70s.  Prophet is the same type of science fiction madness, but without any of the baggage.  And I’ve got no bloody idea where it’s going from here.  But it’s a ride I’m willing and excited to take.



Prophet: Remission
Author: Brandon Graham, et al.
Artist: Simon Ray, et al.
Publisher: Image Comics
ISBN: 978-1-60706-611-8

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment