Saturday, March 9, 2013

"It's Gonna Be Fun!" - New Star Trek Into Darkness Brings The Jokes


I really loved JJ Abrams' 2009 Star Trek.  I thought that it was a rather wonderful way to respect the original cannon as well as spin this new franchise into its own universe.  It was great big spectacle that still managed to hit the emotional beats (I always tear up during the opening ten minutes, and Spock Prime's encounter with young Kirk puts a lump in my throat).  But this sequel has me asking a lot of questions.  Sure, you've got the Benedict Cumberbatch Khan/Not Khan blather, but the tone balance is the most concerning.  The prologue I saw last year was so-so with its comedy and this new trailer certainly offers up a lot of yucks.  I keep telling myself that I had a lot of doubt back in 2009, and hopefully Abrams will pull off another Trek miracle.  Fingers crossed.



--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment