Monday, September 5, 2011

New Release Tuesday (9/6/11)!!!

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


HANNA:  This and Attack The Block are my two picks for the most thrilling, edge of your seat films of the year.  Hanna might not have a whole lot of originality to its plot, but director Joe Wright beats out an extremely effective and stylized film that really flies in the face in the face of his previous works (The Soloist, Atonement, Pride & Prejudice these are movies that just don't spark my excitement).  And finally, after several fine turns in so-so movies, Saoirse Ronan comes into her own as the titular ass-kicker.  Plus, the Chemical Brothers score is gonna be tough to beat come this year's Best Lists.

Buy!


X-MEN FIRST CLASS:  Although, I was not as enthralled with this film as some (I just can't get behind all those teen team building sequences, annoying brats) the relationship between James McAvoy's Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender's Magneto is well worth the price of admission.  They are dynamite together and if this film had dumped the kids and followed only their exploits I would have been over-the-moon pleased.  As is, it's fun.  But it's also just another X-Men movie.  Too many characters, quick resolution.


FRINGE SEASON 3:  I enjoyed the first season, but it's the second season that swept me off my feet.  Not just an X-Files knockoff, Fringe transformed into a mindbending alternate reality saga with great performances from its three leads and gobs of guest star anticipation in the likes of mastermind Leonard Nimoy.  By the conclusion of that season I was clambering for more, but alas, I watch tv only via DVD and I've been waiting....waiting....waiting....for this next box set.  Hanna might be the Must Buy of the Week but Fringe Season 3 is the first dvd I'm gonna watch.


COMMUNITY:  More TV.  This is just fun.  My wife forced me to watch a few episodes of the first season and I was surprised at how quick I was sucked in.  Lots of fun references for all manner of dorks and I hear that this season putters about too much but frankly, I can't wait to see that Leone Spaghetti Western ep.




THE HILLS HAVE EYES (BLU):  The Serpent and The Rainbow and this are my two favorite Wes Craven films.  Both reach into my primitive brain and startle some long repressed trauma within and because of that I also can't say that these are my go-to fun horror flicks.  I gotta be in the right mood--no, I gotta be prepared to subject myself to The Hills Have Eyes.  Cannibals man.  Baby eaters.  And I can't wait to see the desert depravity in 1080p!

Rent!


EVERYTHING MUST GO:  Will Ferrell gets serious...kinda.  My friend Emily saw this in the theater and said it would be up my ally.  Looking at the trailer I think she may be right.  Still, I'm not a Ferrell fan...with the exception of The Other Guys (damn, I love that movie "Aim For The Bushes!") I can't really think of another Ferrell film that I actually give a darn about.  Looks like this could be all kinds of awkward painful fun.

Avoid!


SCARFACE (BLU):  I'm so sick of Scarface.  There.  I've said it.  At some point in my teen years I liked this movie.  And then the cult of Scarface reared it's head and you could buy Scarface blinds at Spencer's Gifts.  Scarface shot glasses.  Scarface cigarette lighters.  Scarface whatever.  I'm so bored by the obnoxious love this film gets.  Watch Carlito's Way instead.  Same movie.  Better.

--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment