Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Release Tuesday (7/12/11)!!!

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


RANGO (BLU):  The year is halfway over and the film that rests atop all others right now is Rango.  We here at ITMOD don't tend to write to many long reviews, but Rango (along with The Devil's Rain and Dr. Black & Mr. Hyde) got some extra love from us back in March and I'm guessing I'll be raving about this flick for the rest of the year.  It's probably my favorite animated movie since Pixar's UP and it's probably one of the best Westerns from the last ten years.  And it's freakin' beautiful!  Gore Verbinski and the geniuses over at ILM knocked it out of the park with the design and the CG beauty.  Can't wait to get this one in my hands.
(UPDATE:  Comes Out On The 15th)


Buy!


BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (BLU):  Oh, man, since I discovered the glory of Shout Factory's Roger Corman Cult Classic line I've been dying to rediscover Battle Beyond the Stars.  This is a bugnuts Star Wars knockoff that I haven't seen since I was a wee lad.  And I don't think I saw the full cut back then, probably a USA Network print.  It's cheese, but we all know that Corman cheese can be glorious Cheeze.



DAMNATION ALLEY (BLU):  Now here's one that I have yet been lucky enough to see.  But I've always wanted to be one of the privileged.  The film stars Jan Michael Vincent (The Mechanic!), George Peppard (The A-Team!), Paul Winfield (Star Trek II!), Jackie Earl Haley (Watchmen!), and Dominique Sanda (The Crimson Rivers!).  And they're trekking across a post apocalyptic wasteland in a pimped out RV!  Hope it's better than Battle Truck.




THE LINCOLN LAWYER:  This was a solid flick.  It's probably a rental for most people but my weird uncontrollable Matthew McConaughey love (Surfer, Dude!!!) forces me to crack open my wallet.  The film looks and feels like a slick episode of Law & Order and I'm already forgetting some of the plot points, but I need it for a potentially upcoming McConaughey-A-Thon.



NAKED (BLU):  Never seen it.  And again, this would normally be a rental but with Barnes & Noble's 50% Criterion Sale kicking off today it's falling into the buy category.  You like Harry Potter's David Thewlis right? And you want to see him as a rapist right?  Uh...sounds like fun times???

Rent!


INSIDIOUS:  Not a great horror film, but it does have some pretty fantastic jump scares and it cost something like a million dollars to make which just blows my mind.  Saw (and Death Sentence!) director James Wan knows how to make a little look like a lot and that's easily worth the Red Box.  Plus, love me some Patrick Wilson.


UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES:  This movie looks crazy.  I had never heard of the flick until Mondo put out a poster and then I saw the trailer below.  Some creepy haunting stuff there.  And it's on Netflix Instant!  No excuses people.




DINOCROC VS SUPERGATOR:  I still haven't seen a mess of these SyFy Corman Nature Rampage flicks but this one is going on the queue with the others.  Plus, do you see that quote?  "Dino-Mite" AND "Croc-Tastic!"  Sold.




ARTHUR:  This should probably be on the Avoid! list (which is sorely lacking this week), but my wife absolutely loves Russell Brand and I kinda find him charming in an annoying British comedian way.  Plus, Helen Mirran!

--Brad

2 comments:

  1. Am I not looking in the right place, cuz everywhere I look is telling me I gotta wait til Friday to get Rango?! WTF?!  All I remember from Damnation Alley is Super Cockroaches and that Super RV.  Saw it as a wee little lad.  And all I remember from Battle Beyond the Stars is the Spaceship(for obvious reasons). Saw that one as a wee little lad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, turns out Rango doesn't come out till Friday. I hate when kids flicks do that.

    ReplyDelete